Wednesday 11 April 2018

Two at Once


These are quilts for the church, and as you can see, I loaded and quilted two at once, it's a very efficient way to use a wide backing.

I also pieced them at the same time--gives a little more variety in the blocks.   I've made quilts with 4 strips and with 5 strips before, so thought I'd try 6.  It's a strip tube quilt, each block has 3 colored strips and 3 neutral strips.  So 42 colored and 42 neutral strips resulted in 2 lap quilts. 

With these tops I had to let go any hope of great points--the neutral strips were often wider than 2 1/2", but I didn't figure this out until well into the process....the great thing about using the strip tube ruler is that the blocks are all square, so they go together nicely, it's just a matter of forgiving the points, and once these quilts are washed and loved a little, the points won't matter.


 The two tops are quilted differently--this one got a square boxy meander...

 and the second one what I call a Maori fishhook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment